Saturday, July 31, 2010

My cat has eczema is being treated with hormone tablets. Any advice of other ways to treat the problem?

She is twelve years old a neutered Briman. I live in France and the tablets she takes are MEGA Chat the vet says it is OK to keep taking the tablets but I don't like the weight gain. She does not have Fleas, which can cause eczemaMy cat has eczema is being treated with hormone tablets. Any advice of other ways to treat the problem?
Yes, my cat had the same problem and was put on the steroid, prednisone! Steroids and hormones are much the same and have the same side effects. My cat developed congestive heart failure because of this, his lungs filled with fluid and he almost died. I took him to another vet and they put him on a diuretic for the fluid and he improved. My new vet said that 99% of the time cats develop eczema because of their diet. He suggested dry food containing no fish product, (as this is the problem), and my cat has never had the problem since.My cat has eczema is being treated with hormone tablets. Any advice of other ways to treat the problem?
consult a homeopathic vet
I am a Veterinary Nurse and Ovarid does cause weight gain especially on the tummy.....
My cat developed diabetes after an injection of cortisone for a skin problem.He had to take insulin for over a year,after which the diabetes went away.This is how my vet concluded that the diabetes was caused by the steroids .It is not unheard of.They are very useful drugs,but do have many side effects.for your cat,I would suggest trying at least a half -raw diet,with the addition of a good fish -oil supplement.You might also try a weekly medicated bath-Sebolux is good,so is Oatmeal shampoo.Feed the best cat food you can afford to buy;meat-based,with no corn ,soy or wheat,along with the addition of some raw food,i.e.,chicken livers,lamb,salmon(with bones removed-vertebrae are OK)raw egg yolk(no whites),and some yogurt.Try these suggestions for six weeks and see if her skin improves.You will have to wean her off of the medication slowly,though,stopping it all at once is dangerous.Of course ,ask your vet before starting anything different,but the diet and fish-oil should be fine.
yeah.. shoot the little flea ridden useless peice of crap and buy a dog!!!
rub em down with vaseline and talc
I use Probiotics for my 3 yr old son which manages his eczema beautifully and no side effects - it may be worth trying for your cat.





Primadophilus Reuteri/Bifidus





May be worth asking the vet for his opinion.





Also do a search for probiotics and cats


Good Luck
my cat has the same problem , we are in the uk , and were prescribed Ovarid, which does nto have weight gain effects... so enquire if this product is licenced in France
special oatmeal shampoos and washes can reduce inflammation of the skin, but with severe eczema it may not have much effect. Also getting your cat into the bath may be a problem...!

No comments:

Post a Comment