Saturday, July 31, 2010

I have a thyroid problem. I need to exercise but have no energy. Any advice?

I am 5'4'; and weigh 155. I want to lose some weight. My eating habits are fine. So I know my problem has to do with lack of exercise. But I have no energy. I have a treadmill. But all I seem to be using it for is a coat or purse hanger. How can I jump start my energy so that I can use the treadmill its intended purpose and lose weight?I have a thyroid problem. I need to exercise but have no energy. Any advice?
Sounds like maybe you are a poor converter of T4 to T3. It's the T3 hormone that gives us energy. You might want to test free t3 levels to ind out. The free t3 level should be midrange or above or you have a conversion problem.





Most patients get put on T4 (Synthroid, Levoxyl) with the idea that they will convert T4 to T3. Many people are poor converters and would feel better if they took both T4 and T3. Thids could be by addiing Cytomel (T3) to the T4 or by switching to a med that is both T4 and T3 like Armour or Thyrolar.I have a thyroid problem. I need to exercise but have no energy. Any advice?
drink red bull and call it a day
i think its cause u work 3rd shift you feel drained all the time? its not right to work when u should be sleeping go on first shift and see if that will give u some better quality life..
There are a lot of things to do for thyroid problems. If you have medical insurance then it would be good to ask your doctor to test your thyroid hormones just so you have an idea of what is going on and how bad it is. There are a few things that you can eat that might help, such as kelp (has many trace minerals including iodine), L-tyrosine (an amino acid that will give you a bit more energy) and chromium (helps stabilize blood sugar and protects against hypoglycemia). You can do some research on the web regarding these recommendations. Exercise is definately one of the most helpful things that you can do but it is a bit of a Catch-22 because the hypothyroidism causes you to have low energy and the way to help reverse it is through doing something that takes a lot of energy. I would recommend starting out very slowly but consistently. Consistency is the key with exercise. Start out doing a little bit of walking every day and then every week increase the amount of exercise a little bit. Don't get down on yourself if you miss a few days or stop exercising all together, just get right back into it and start over.
Well, if you have a ';thyroid'; problem, you should be on medication to correct it. The med is cheap. When you get the ';problem'; fixed, you should have as much energy as anyone else. Then, all you'll need is motivation. Ain't no pills for that.





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment