Thursday, August 19, 2010

Huge motorbike problem! Advice desperately needed?

Ok heres my problem...





I'm 17 and currently living in Australia. There are new laws for getting licences for cars and motorbikes that start 1st of July. If a wanted a motorbike after July I need to hold my P's (one after learners) for a car, for one year, BEFORE I can even take a RE class motorbike exam. Not only will I have to wait 1.5 years to get a RE class licence but I'm not allowed passengers to ride with me until I have gotten a R class licence and held it for 3 years.





So with that in mind I went to the place to get them but the lady said because I'm under 18 I needed permission from my mum??? WTF





So I asked my mum and after a bit of persuasion she allowed me to take the motorbike exam but then changed her mind and I can't persuade her again. She's so sure I'm going to die from a bike crash etc.





Anyway, my main question was...Does any one know what to say to persuade a mother in favour of motorbikes? Sorry for the long intro :)





Any thoughts are appreciated xoxHuge motorbike problem! Advice desperately needed?
Let her know what the new laws will be saying about it and she cant stop you once your of age to get a motorbike anyhow. I have a family full of Harley lovers and I have a crotch rocket for a bike and they all hate it but know I will be safe. You can also let your mom know that it will save gas cost as well. Trust me gas prices are high here I just wonder what its like for you. I live in the USA and they call people who ride bikes Road kill, the walking dead, and a bunch of other things and its not a game on one of them at all. Most people have motorbikes for the love of the ride and that is why I have one. Others like to hot rod in them and its not a fun thing to visit a friend in the hospital cause of the very slim brush with death. Most people don't live a accident at all and the ones who do are the new riders or ones who think doing the cool stuff is ok. So let her know what kind of a person you will be on the bike and that you know better to act like the other kids your age and make sure she really believes you. Or you will have to deal with the new laws and that is her right to do and pushing it hard is never good in this kind of situation. SO make sure you are truly heart felt when talking to her about this. Because its your life she doesn't want to lose. Its the worst nightmare for a mother to lose her baby no matter the age of her kids.Huge motorbike problem! Advice desperately needed?
Best of luck to you. Sounds like you're in a jam.





Heads up USA ! This is where we are headed quickly with over protective moms in the house and the senate ! Enough is enough.





Sorry for the off-topic answer.
I have been riding two wheels since I was 14 years of age. My parents were very protective of me like your mum and not wanting me to get hurt. We live life once and if this is something that you might like to try then your mother needs to hear that you might NOT like it after you've experienced it. Ask her to allow you to ';venture'; out to experience ';life'; and this is one of those things along lifes highway that you'd like to try. I will give you some advise though and that is you are ';cool'; on a motorcycle and it's great therapy BUT never let ';cool'; conflict with being safe and paying attention to what you are doing which is operating a two wheel vehicle which does have a slightly higher danger factor than a car. I wish you luck in your venture. I use my bike for therapy, to air out the day and lifes ruts in the road and too I often pose the question to people, ';Why do you never see motorcycles parked in front of a psychiatrist's office?';. Hope mum allows you to live but maybe you can promise to wear a helmet although I myself choose not to wear it except when I travel at high speeds.


Good Luck to you,


Rik


aka: Lucky
tell your ol' lady you'll just have to find a biker dude with a harley ride around with ;-)
come here and i'll teach you to ride....: )
tell her at least you're not into drugs or binge drinking - unless you are then it might not work. You could just do what i did and just do it anyway, they have to accept it if you've already done it!
Give up. You can't convince your Mum its safe. Obviously she loves you an wants the best for you. Wait till you need no one to sign.





Virago Man
Hey how about fake it? I'm not sure what the deal is but I thought you just had to get them to sign a form. Just ask to bring it home so your mum can sign it and get someone else to fill it out for you. I think that would do the trick. Also there may be a law that says you can get the license if you fill out a statutory declaration form you can get the thing without parents consent, if you say that they are unable to.





I'm assuming you don't mind breaking the law since you are wanting a motorbike.
My advice is take her out for a nice meal then drop on your knees and beg. Alternatively show how responsible you are and she's bound to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment