Sunday, August 22, 2010

Any advice for my stuttering problem?

I also have fear on public speaking. I practice before a presentation but when i'm infornt, I usually stutter because of nervousness. My friends keep telling me to relax but it just really happens. I also have the same problem when just talking to other people. I know I have low self-esteem issues and it's really just deppressing. Yesterday we had a group report in school and I was the first to speak. I stuttered and i wasn't able to follow what I was supposed to say. I can really sense the disappointment of my other groupmate though she didn't say or do anything. How can I get over this problem? Our thesis deliberation is next week so it's really twice the bummer... :(Any advice for my stuttering problem?
Make sure you know your material and dont read off of something, but use it as a cue card.





Take deep breaths to relax before the presentation.





Dont lock your knees.





Take a shot of vodka before to ease your nerves.Any advice for my stuttering problem?
The best thing to do is to read aloud to someone. It doesnt matter what youre reading just read. Practice makes perfect.
If stuttering is so bad that it's impacting your everyday life, you may want to consider seeing a speech therapist/pathologist (both of which could be referred by your family physician). There are a variety of treatments including a devise that repeats your words back to you, thus tricking your brain into moving on the the next syllable/word. This is a dramatic treatment and others would probably be considered first.
start out by reading in front of two or three people then when you gain more self esteem add more folks to your audience
my best advice is to peactice your speeches infront of your family and friends and pretend that they are your audience. after you are done with your speech then ask then for criticism-helpful-and use it and then practice it again in front of them another time.i would reccomend to be videotaped and see where you mess up and where you become nervous while you practice at home-that helped me with my speech and debate as i saw that when i was nervous i would get the habit of playing with my hair. good luck!
Enrol in a speech class.


For the meantime, read aloud in front of a mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment