Monday, August 23, 2010

HELP PLEASE: Work problem advice/opinion please?

Last week I had to train two different newer coworkers at my job. The 1st one I trained I felt had a bad attitude. Although she was polite and said thank you %26amp;please, etc. . ., she seemed not care about the work and often drummed her fingers when I tried to show her a task, and overall had a poor attitude about the job itself.


I felt like I failed and was bad at training. The following day I trained another person on the same job and it went really well. There was no bad attitude and we got along fine. I was done training in an hour and half and they understood everything and even asked questions when they needed.


Today another person I worked with continued with training the first girl, and she said it went well. Could it just of been me that did not work well with her? Could she have been having a bad day?


Advice pls this is bugging me. Did I fail at training her? I know my boss will ask me about it and I did mention the issues I had that day with my other coworkersHELP PLEASE: Work problem advice/opinion please?
It wasn't you. If you trained the second person successfully then there is nothing wrong with your training procedures.





The trainee could have been having a bad day or the second trainer could have just not noticed the signs in the trainee's attitude.





Sounds like you are fairly adept at picking up body language.





Let it go. The trainee will be fired eventually if she continues the attitude and it will not be because of your inability to train her.HELP PLEASE: Work problem advice/opinion please?
It's the difference in personality. The first girl came across the way she did probably because she felt like she knew what to do, and wanted to get on with it, and go to work. She probably has poor people skills, but may have good work habits. You should of been honest with her, and let her know that her finger tapping was annoying. As a supervisor / trainer, it was totally disrespectful of her to tap like that.


The second girl possesses more people skills, and is probably more suited to what you would expect out of a new hire. You probably related better to her, and her work ethnic. Hence, this is why the second trainer related more to the first girl than you did. Don't take things personally. Always have a professional attitude at work, and you will never go wrong.
She was stupid to drum her finger while you talked to her. What kind of idiot would do that on their first day of work. Anyway, ';Speaking Up'; gave you a great answer. Dont internalize that fool's behavior. But I know one thing, if she had worked for some of the bosses I've had in the past, her as$ would have been shown the door. That little girl has a lot to learn.
If you are asked to train new employees, then when you are finished training them (or during the training) you SHOULD be reporting to your superior(s) about the trainees. You didn't fail; this person was just not interested.
You know it was not for you if anything went wrong. I don't think anything was wrong because it was her personal behavior or attitude which you do not have to pay attention very much unless she told you something directly. But I think it was good for you in the sense that you have a scope to think if there was anything you could do to improve your teaching method so that the trainee got more motivated by you. This way you could be a better trainer every time.
I don't believe you failed. If you are this determined to make sure you did the right thing, then i believe you did.
No, you didn't fail at training her! As the old saying goes ';You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink';. You did all you could do in training her and if she doesn't want to put forth the effort of showing you that she is passionate about her job then that's not your fault Also, just because she wasn't giving you the non-verbal cues that she wanted to perform her job doesn't mean that she wasn't learning. Maybe she was having an off day or she was just bored at that time. Also- even if she did not understand the material, you're not a mind reader and it is up to her to express that she doesn't understand the information. I wouldn't worry about a thing!
The first girl either had a bad day, or for whatever reason, her vibe just didn't match with yours. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's also possible that she probably didn't understand what you were trying to show her. Some people are like that. I have trained several people at the last job I had. One girl, I had to train several times before she finally understood how to do what she needed to do. As long as you, did what you set out to do, you didn't fail. Since your co-worker was able to train the first girl, it's also possible that she went about the training in a different way.
If you haven't talked to her about it, you will never know.





Communication is a great thing, but unfortunately, as with all great cities, there are a few ';One way'; streets... and sometimes, you have to take them to get where you want to go.





Ask her out for lunch, or pull her into your office... and let her know, ';I heard that your training went well yesterday with %26lt;whomever%26gt;. How do you like things so far? I was curious abou tthe first day, when I was training you... were you having a bad day, did I miss something, etc...';
you trained her well, sometimes your personality isnt compatible with someone elses, no matter how hard you try
Don't worry about it and certainly don't internalize it. If her attitude stunk, that is a reflection on her. Trust me, if her attitude was apparently bad to you, it will become apparent to others as well.
It sounds as if she has a problem, not you. When your boss asks you how training went, make out that everything was fine with both of them, since the boss can soon figure out for himself how good an attitude the first girl has. If you mention anything negative about the first girl, it will seem as if you are being malicious, which you are not. The boss is the one who has to assess the newbies and any remarks from you will not be welcome.
I really wouldnt worry about it if i were you. Some people learn differently than others and maybe your method was different. Could also be that she was just having a bad day. Until the boss says something to you about it I would not stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment